self-sufficient, independent lifestyle”
Economic Opportunity, Jobs and Educational Programs, Greater Stability, & Financial Independence
These are the goals of the Resident Service Programs offered by the Rockford Housing Authority for residents who want to find jobs and advance their careers.
Staff specialists help you develop a plan with specific activities and actions needed to achieve your goals. This support includes:
- Identify and overcome possible barriers to your progress
- Identify your specific interests and unique skills
- individualized support to help identify your needs
- coordination and referrals to necessary services
- assistance in setting goals and identifying the steps to accomplish
- ongoing support to make positive changes in your life
Staff members speak various languages and often share the same cultures as the residents we serve. They can help bridge cultural differences and provide the support you need to reach your goals.
- emergency assistance (food, utilities, rent)
- connections to education (completing high school, getting a GED, entering college)
- connections to employers looking for workers
- access to jobs related to Rockford Housing Authority construction, through our “Section 3” program
- career counseling and job training
- assistance with self-employment
- budgeting and financial planning
- legal services
- parenting skills
- home-buyer education
When you begin working with a Resident Services Program staff person, you will have an ally to help you navigate the path of education and employment. Your staff person will help you to identify your skills, abilities, and interests and they will continue to help you as you make decisions and move forward. If you need services from other organizations, they will help connect to those resources.
- household budgeting
- writing or improving your resume
- learning interview skills and practicing for a job interview
- testing to find out what you are good at
- help in the search for a job and understanding work-related issues
- job placement help
- on-the-job training and internship opportunities
- assistance in keeping your job
- help in getting higher pay and benefits
Resident Services Specialists are prepared and willing to help you with whatever issues are standing in the way of getting and keeping a good job.
Staff members use their experience and contacts to help participants obtain employment in many industries, including medical, personal care, office and administration, social services and building trades.
If you already have a job, you can also use our Resident Services programs to help you get a higher-paying job, earn a promotion or receive higher wages in your current job.